We had 1 bird return today, Kwan 617. We mailed some birds out today and contacted their owners to alert them. We will start mass shipping birds on Monday. Most checks have been mailed out. There are still a few here. We were waiting for W-9's. Other than 1, I think we have all of them now. I will mail them out on Monday also.
We now have 83 birds home. Only 2 came back today. All the checks for prize money have been written and are beginning to be mailed out. CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE WINNERS!!! Due to not being able to predict who will want their birds back and how many birds that will be, also some potential IRS problems, I have to write all prize winning checks for the full amounts. If you want your birds back send a check for $55 for 1 bird and $10 for each additional.
We have a full page ad for our 2017 race series coming out in the February, March and April issues of Racing Pigeon Digest. Hopefully this will help increase the size of our race. I am sending in a write-up and some pics with a list of all this last season's winners to be published in the March issue also. Be sure and check it out.
New for this year's race series: (1) We will not accept birds after June 15th. By allowing birds to arrive after the 1st of July this last year, it contributed to us finishing in January. Even though it increases the money in the prize pool we will not budge this year. The breeders from the north have trouble raising babies in their severe winters. This makes it difficult for them to send birds in time. (2) Our last race will be flown from 325 miles. If this goes well we may move out a little farther the following year. (3) The race fees will be $150 each. The extra $25 per bird should increase the prize pool by at least $5000, maybe more.
Thank you to everyone who participated this year. I hope you will join us for the 2017 race series. Tell others in your club and friends across the country about our race. This increases the competition and how much money we have for prizes. The more entries the bigger the prizes to be won.
Today was so much fun. Check out the pics posted on our website under the "RVR News" Tab. We ate lunch at our local Mexican restaurant then came back to watch for birds. While we waited we drew names for bags of Des Moines feed and 1 pack of nest felts. We had everyone put down their name and time they predicted the 1st birds would arrive. Ron Gustafson won and received a free bag of feed. There were 7 birds on the 1st drop and they were about 6 minutes ahead of the next bird. These birds arrived only slightly off the line of flight. They started with left cross winds at 10 mph. They had left cross winds all along the course. When they arrived we had 15 to 20 mph winds. Congratulations to these birds! They did a great job.
Everyone winning $600 or more must submit a W-9. Upon receiving it we will immediately mail out your check. All other winners will have their checks mailed out the 1st of the week.
Anyone wanting their birds returned needs to contact me a.s.a.p. the charge is $55 for 1 bird and $10 for each additional bird. If we don't hear from you within 10 days the birds become our property.
We are making a few changes next year. I will send out this info soon. We will have a full page ad in the February, March and April issues of Racing Pigeon Digest.
Thank you to everyone who sent birds this year.
The birds were released at 8:15. We will be using live clocking. 38 mph would put the birds here a few minutes after 4:00.
The race birds should arrive at McClane Stadium in Waco Texas by 7:30 a.m. We crated at dusk to allow the birds to get a good drink. They will be watered again upon arrival at the release site. We plan to release the birds at 8:00 a.m. Anyone that wishes to watch the release will be welcome. Everyone wanted a working race so all should be happy. We never know if there is a different wind direction at a higher altitude but the ground wind forecast calls for a stiff left cross wind all the way. If that is the case I don't expect the birds to fly faster than 38 mph. If that is the case the 1st birds would arrive here a little before 4:00 p.m.
Everyone planning to be here should bring a chair. If you are going to the lunch we are providing at our Mexican Restaurant be here before 12:00 or meet us there.
Good luck to all,
The birds performed much better today on the 55 mile toss. They had strong left cross winds like they are supposed to have on Sunday. I feel conmfortable sending them to the 300 now. We will flag them tomorrow and Friday. The Jerry Cantere bird that is the last bird on the list is a late bird from the 55 mile toss on Monday. This bird came in after we had left for today's training toss. Wayne Lowes bird 5978 shows up 1st on the last 2 tosses. Good job Wayne!
If you are coming to the race on Sunday, bring a chair. If you want to go to the lunch we are providing for everyone be here before 12:00. We are meeting at our local Mexican Restaurant and the food is awesome. The weather forecast calls for sunny skies, temps in the mid to upper 40's, and 15 mph left cross winds.
Nice weather has finally returned! We tossed the birds from 55 miles today. We will toss from 55 miles again on Wednesday. The final race will be on Sunday. Right now the weather forecast for Sunday is sunny, temps in the 50's, and mild left cross wind.
As usual the weather changed for the worse. We had light fog and misty conditions the 1st half of the day today. The winds along the race course are strong tail winds Friday and Saturday and rain here on Sunday with predicted 30 mph cross winds between Waco and here. The weather is predicted to turn nice next week.
Saturday and Sunday it rained all day. Yesterday we flagged the birds for 1 hour. Today we tossed the birds from 55 miles. The weather was cloudy and no sun with left cross winds 7-10 mph. It wasn't great results but good for training. The weather calls for heavy clouds tomorrow. We plan to toss the birds from 55 miles again on Thursday. We are supposed to have some sun so I expect the birds to perform much better. The weather in Waco Texas is not looking good but we hope that will change so we can fly the last race as soon as possible.
We had strong winds with 36 mph gusts all day on Wednesday. We were able to flag the birds Thursday and Friday but the weather was not suitable for a training toss. We will continue to flag the birds each day, if possible, and toss the birds from 55 miles after the weekend. We will post the results. Right now it is raining hard and the forecast is rain on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.